Ozblogistan will grow larger

For some time now I, your friendly Ozblogistan Tyrant, have been considering expanding the Ozblogistan family. For my thesis research I require a larger pool of blogs under management.

To that end, I have opened up a second server for Ozblogistan. Shortly, one server will handle the database while the original server handles the web side of things.

This will (theoretically) speed up performance and make it easier for me to grow Ozblogistan.

This decision is unrelated to the recent stoushing (though the stoushing may lead to other changes in future).

What this means:

1. All Ozblogistan sites will be offline tonight while I make the transfer. I will begin at 5pm Central Standard Time. The upgrade is complete.
  2. I am looking for more tenants. I wish to continue hosting high-quality Australian blogs. While I don’t mind more blogs like the wonkish ones I have, I would also like to diversify as well. If you have a good blog you want to live alongside Club Troppo, Larvatus Prodeo, Catallaxy Files, Andrew Norton and Skepticlawyer, send me an email. If you have a favourite blog who you think should join the network, tell me (and them). The more the merrier, I’m building a big bus.

To keep discussion of this matter centralised, I have disabled comments everywhere except on the main Ozblogistan entry.

Thank you for your attention.

Updates

Taking the plunge:

This entry was posted in Site News. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Ozblogistan will grow larger

1. Pingback: Club Troppo » Ozblogistan will grow larger

2. Pingback: Skepticlawyer » Ozblogistan will grow larger

3. Pingback: Ozblogistan will grow larger at Catallaxy Files

4. Pingback: Andrew Norton » Blog Archive » Ozblogistan will grow larger

5. Mindy says:

Does this mean that we might be able to get nested comments back, or is that just pushing it?

6. That’s up to each blog, Mindy.

7. Mindy says:

Sorry, didn’t mean to imply that blogs hadn’t been allowed to, I thought it had something to do with server size and wondered if with the new set up it would be possible for the blogs to set it up again. Sounds like it is possible which is good.

8. TerjeP says:

What is the benefit of moving a blog into your federated empire?

9. The main thing I can offer over Blogspot or WordPress.com is more flexibility (I can install themes or plugins where reasonable) and the eternal reflected glory of being with all the other cool blogs.

I have daily remote automatic backups, so your data and files are safe from loss.

However, I am not running this system on a professional basis — that is, I’m not requiring payment — and can’t offer the same uptime guarantees as WordPress.com et al can.

It’s really up to each person to decide for themselves.

10. So…what, you’re offering free hosting for research purposes? I don’t quite get it.

11. Well my research (there are two potential projects here) requires me to have some blogs that I can work with. Plus, for the amount of traffic Australian sites generally receive, I can cover it myself.

The tradeoff is that at some point, I’ll be asking Ozblogistan residents to participate in my research. They don’t have to if they don’t want to.

Part of the research is potentially patentable so I can’t really go into it here.

12. Welcome to the new people, excellent additions by the looks.

13. harleymc says:

The fundamentals of researching people is ethics based on informed consent (there may be potential harm to study participants).
    Will you be informing potential bloggers as to the nature of the study?
    Will there be a consent form to sign for people commenting on the blogs?

14. I will be informing bloggers of the nature of the study when it is further along.

In both cases the research is developing software which would be strictly opt-in for bloggers and commenters both.

I will not be relying on the content of blog posts or comments.

15. TerjeP says:

Perhaps I’m missing something but this does not seem like a significant improvement over the native offering of wordpress. There are no steak knives with this deal.

16. Would you accept a coupon good for one really scandalous comment?

17. TerjeP says:

Tempting, but probably not.

18. Grendel says:

Looking forward to the new larger Ozblogistani empire.

I do tend to read the title of this post with the same accent as the chinese characters use in Command and Conquer – perhaps I need more coffee…

19. I figured somebody might get the reference. I played the Chinese nuke general for a while before becoming all about lasers.

20. Iain Hall says:

Jacques your email address is not working I have tried to reply to your last note and it just keeps bouncing.

21. Iain;

Try again — my email host (unrelated to Ozblogistan) said they moved servers.

22. Pingback: Journal de Jacques :: Fixing blogger imports into Wordpress

23. Iain Hall says:

well thye have not fixed it yet 🙁

24. No, it seems not. I lodged a support ticket earlier today. I’ll send out a mass email to update people when they’ve fixed it.

25. JM says:

Jacques: more flexibility

I hope that doesn’t include giving Iain Hall access to the server logs (WordPress doesn’t)

26. I don’t share my server logs with anybody.

27. William Cody says:

So will all of Iain’s blogs be moving over here?

28. Only the WordPress.com blog.

Comments are closed.